We Provide Quality Care for Diplopia (Double Vision)
Our doctors at the Hollywood Vision Center – Optometry can provide a comprehensive treatment plan to help improve your double vision.
Double vision can be temporary, or it can be the result of a serious, even life threatening condition.
If you experience a sudden onset of double vision, along with other medical symptoms such as impaired speech, loss of coordination, severe headache, loss of consciousness, numbness or paralysis of one side of your body, or loss of side vision, call 911 immediately because it may be a medical emergency.
If your vision became double gradually, it could still mean a serious health problem so it is imperative to call us to have any double vision checked. It could also signify a decreasing ability to compensate for a longstanding eye drift due to age, stress or fatigue.
Temporary double vision can result from things like fatigue and severe intoxication. This may indicate that you have a slight eye misalignment that is not noticeable cosmetically. Your brain may be subconsciously compensating which leads to fatigue, eye strain, and decreased productivity.
Double vision can also result from a more serious problem such as:
- Stroke or cerebrovascular accident
- Third nerve palsy that results from diabetes
- Traumatic or acquired brain injury (from sports, car or other moving vehicle accident, sharp blow to the head, etc.)
- Brain tumor
- Orbital fracture or trapped eye muscle (resulting from head injury, car accident, etc.)
- Multiple Sclerosis
Conditions that cause double vision include:
- Strabismus: (also known as “cross-eyed” or “wall-eyed”), which is characterized by the inability to align the eyes. One or both eyes may turn in any direction.
- Exophoria: (convergence insufficiency) or Esophoria (convergence excess): eyes that tend to drift in or out.The eyes can be held straight for short periods, but with excessive effort, and wasted energy which causes eyestrain or headaches.This can be aggravated by a demanding visual workload such as heavy computer use, desk work, or intense studying. If the eyes are already working hard to compensate for the eye drift, prolonged use of the eyes can fatigue the eye muscles to the point of seeing ghost images, images that appear to move, or double vision. These problems are fairly common, and treatment is very effective.
- Fusional: instability: poor sensory ability to fuse the two images from both eyes together to form a single, 3-dimensional image. This may result in ghost images, unstable images, poor depth perception, or intermittent double vision.
- Astigmatism: optical problem resulting from incorrect focus of images on the retina. This can usually be easily corrected by glasses or contact lenses.
- Dry eyes: can cause double vision when the tear layer is not smooth due to poor or insufficient tears
If your double vision goes untreated, you can experience visual confusion, which can be hazardous. This can result in clumsiness, impaired balance, and poor 3D vision or depth perception which can be particularly dangerous while driving or operating machinery. Your ability to localize where objects are in space is compromised, which can affect your eye hand coordination in sports (such as catching or hitting a ball in baseball, free throws in basketball, tennis). It can also affect other everyday activities, such as parallel parking, and judging the depth of stairs while walking.
The first step is to call us. Dr. Brisco did a Post Doctorate Fellowship in Developmental and Binocular Vision. We have helped many patients regain their ability to use their eyes together to see single, and even have depth perception. Once it’s been determined that there are no health-related reasons causing the double vision, treatment options include Vision Therapy, patching, and strabismus surgery.
Vision Therapy is a type of physical therapy that works on eye muscle control and coordination to improve eye muscle alignment. It is highly effective and has been proven to improve visual motor input and visual processing. During your weekly visits with one of our Vision Therapists, you will learn to use your eyes together as a team to improve eye alignment, depth perception, and eye hand coordination.
Strabismus surgery is another treatment option. It involves cutting the eye muscles and re-inserting them on the eye in a different position to straighten the eye. The effectiveness of surgery depends on the muscles involved, the direction of the eye turn, and the amount of the eye turn. We understand that each individual case is different, and we treat is as such. Vision Therapy is recommended in conjunction with surgery to retrain the brain how to use the eyes together as a team, and how to see 3-dimensional images, etc. This increases the likelihood of success.
Surgery may decrease the amount of an eye turn cosmetically. However, Vision Therapy is still vitally important and integral in order to train the eyes to work together, and to stimulate the weaker eye to track and fixate. Surgery usually requires multiple operations unless Vision Therapy is done to train the brain how to use the eyes together. You wouldn’t very well get knee surgery without going through Physical Therapy, would you? Just the same, you cannot get an effective and functional cure without doing therapy to improve eye muscle control and coordination.
If you have any questions regarding double vision, please call our office at (323) 521-4770 for an appointment with one of our highly experienced and caring doctors. We also offer complimentary 5 minute consultations to determine if you should come in for a full evaluation to help you or your child. At the Hollywood Vision Center, we see our patients as our extended family. If you are experiencing double vision in Los Angeles, CA, we will plan an effective treatment to help you see and be your best.
Thank you, Elise Brisco
Very friendly staff and personable patient care
Best eye doctor in Los Angeles
Very pleased with the service
Professionalism and Personal Care
Great Place to Visit
Excellent service, excellent attention.
Thank you Dr. Brisco.
Would recommend to anyone
Dr. Brisco and her team took great care
They are the best
Very friendly and an excellent listener
Thanks Hollywood Vision Center
I have had a pleasant experience directly with the Dr and Julie. They made sure my questions were answered and took the time to make sure that all is well even after my move to Sacramento.
Thanks Hollywood Vision Center
Very friendly and an excellent listener
Very Friendly Staff and The Doctor
Wow! Was I surprised to find an Integrative optometrist
Dr, BRISCO, is one of the best optometrists
I went to Dr. Brisco 16 years ago and thought I lost her when I found her I was so happy because before that I had gone to Len Crafter who I feel ruined my eyes the exam was so quick. Dr Brisco is one of the best in explaining what is going on I would advise anyone that needs an eye dr to visit them.