Your eyes are one of the most essential organs in your body, which means that finding the right tools to keep them protected and enhance your vision is crucial to your overall health and well-being. For example, making the decision to wear scleral lenses rather than traditional lenses comes with numerous benefits for the right individual.
But what exactly are scleral lenses, and what benefits do they provide? Let’s take a closer look at these lenses to discover if they’re the right option for your needs!
What Are Scleral Lenses?
Aptly named, scleral lenses are special contact lenses that fit over the sclera (the white of the eye) and create a dome over the cornea to eliminate the friction or discomfort that some may experience when wearing traditional contact lenses. Scleral lenses come in full-scleral, mini-scleral, and semi-scleral to provide the wearer with the right fit and benefits.
Who Would Benefit From Wearing Scleral Lenses?
Scleral lenses are for everyone! However, there are some individuals who may benefit more from wearing these types of lenses in place of traditional contacts. These include:
- Individuals who find traditional contacts to be too irritating
- Those who suffer from dry eye syndrome and need moisture and relief
- Patients with a misshapen cornea, which can occur naturally or be caused by conditions such as keratoconus or complications related to eye surgery
Do you fit into any of the above descriptions? If so, here are a few tips for wearing scleral lenses that will help you on your journey!
- Always rub your lenses after wear to ensure that you’ve cleared away debris that’s accumulated on the surface of the lens.
- Find filling solutions that are preservative-free to keep your eyes and your lenses safe.
- Take your lenses off before bed and when you start to feel like your lenses are fogging or causing discomfort.
- Allow yourself to become accustomed to your new lenses and let your optometrist know about any complications you’re experiencing.
Making the switch over to scleral lenses can be a bit of an adjustment, but your eyes will thank you!
What Are the Advantages of Wearing Scleral Lenses?
As you can see above, scleral lenses are designed to provide a host of benefits to those who may not find traditional contacts helpful. But exactly what advantages can you expect to experience when you decide to wear scleral lenses? A few of the key benefits of these lenses include:
- Less contact slipping, which is extremely beneficial if you lead a more active lifestyle
- Clearer vision and less glare experienced while wearing your scleral lenses
- Less discomfort and irritation caused by your contacts
- Greater protection against debris and improved eye health
- Greater durability and ease-of-use, in comparison to traditional contact lenses
- Far more cost-effective than your average lenses
When you compare traditional lenses to scleral lenses, there simply is no competition. If you believe that you would benefit from scleral lenses, call us now or request an appointment to begin your journey to better vision!